Remodeling: Bring Your Traditional Kitchen to the Modern World
Does your traditional kitchen feel tired and outdated? Increasingly, families are expecting kitchens to serve many different purposes, going beyond meal preparation to become an office, classroom, playroom, and more. Kitchen design in 2021 combines functionality with personality; unique, curated kitchens fit beautifully into modern lifestyles. Functional touches like hideaway storage and integrated media systems meet colors inspired by nature for a modern but classic feel. Whether you have the budget for an entirely new kitchen or just want to make some simple changes, there are creative ways to personalize your kitchen, making it both functional and beautifully modern.
• Calming colors make for a modern palette. Green is huge in this year’s kitchens, from sage to forest and everything in between, bringing a fresh, natural energy inside. Greys and midnight blues are also popular, along with muted neutrals, like white, ivory, and taupe. Fixtures in bronze, brass, or copper and tactile materials like wood, rattan, wicker, and stone, work with these colors to create an inviting, relaxing environment.
• Painted kitchens are replacing pre-fab finishes. Painted furniture and cabinetry paired with authentic raw materials like marble and concrete create a classic and durable kitchen environment that feels fresh and modern. The beauty of a painted kitchen is its endurance: it can be sanded down and repainted when you’re ready for a new look.
• Modern kitchens make the most of the available space. Hidden storage solutions offer practical, clutter-free style, and multi-functional spaces repurpose the traditional kitchen for modern lifestyles. Breakfast bars and islands work for dining, food prep, and office work from home, and integrated seating areas blend in seamlessly with the overall design.
• Dramatic touches make the kitchen unique. It could be a two-tone look, with starkly contrasting colors, or it could be sculptural lighting or an unusual backsplash, but designers and homeowners are finding ways to add personal touches. Open shelving, too, allows for the showcasing of decorative items.
• Broken concept is replacing open concept. While the trend has been for rooms to merge into one large space, the pendulum is beginning to swing back the other way. Internal zoning makes use of things like screens, furniture, cabinetry, and seating areas to provide definition to the space.
• Sustainability is vital for a modern kitchen. Eco-friendly building materials and sustainable living solutions like dedicated recycling bins, boiling water taps, and induction cooktops are becoming increasingly popular.
Capitol Design Build has been performing custom remodeling since 1989 and building custom, high-end homes in the Washington DC Metropolitan Area for 29 years. We serve businesses and individuals in Virginia, Washington D.C, and Maryland, meeting every need from kitchen renovation and bathroom remodeling to custom home design and building. With experience spanning many disciplines, including engineering, design, remodeling, construction, and customer service, we look forward to working with you. Feel free to shop our website, call us at (703) 436-2069, or contact us online for a free, no-obligation estimate.